Buffers Chain

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri May 23 09:12:12 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 03:21:56PM +0100, Paulo Silva wrote:

> Hi,
> Let me introduce the Elephant in the room. My name is Paulo and I'm
> from Portugal.
> I am starting developing nginx modules and I'm having a great time
> with buffers chain :D
>
> I'm using nginx as a reverse proxy and my goal is to log the full
> response body (HTML) on the server.
>
> I did start with a filter module with a body_filter and my approach is
> as follow:
>
> 1. Inspect given ngx_chain_t *in linked list to understand if nginx
> has the full response (last_buf)
> 2. On each body_filter call I'm updating a linked list which glues
> given ngx_chain_t *in to the previous ones.
> 3. As soon as I detect the last_buf, I iterate my internal linked list
> (and each linked ngx_chain_t lists), dumping buffers content.
>
> Although I'm reaching the last_buf, I'm missing some bytes.

In no particular order:

- Make sure you are allocating your own ngx_chain_t structures.
  Trying to modify ngx_chain_t structures got in *in chain is a
  common mistake.

- If you are passing buffers to next filters, it's incorrect to
  assume that buffer contents will be available later (a buffer
  contents will be eventually sent to a client, and then the
  buffer can be reused by its owner).

- If you are not passing buffers to next filters, it's incorrect
  to assume that you'll get full response (e.g., with
  "output_buffers 1 64", you'll get only first 64 bytes of a
  response).

- If you didn't set r->filter_need_in_memory, it's incorrect to
  assume that buffers will be in memory.

To log a response body, you'll have to copy contents of all
buffers sent though your filter.  Just saving links to buffers is
certainly not enough.