Fwd: [ module ] Add http upstream keep alive timeout parameter

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Jan 7 16:33:56 UTC 2018

Hello!

On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 03:53:46PM +1100, Wei Xu wrote:

> Is it possible to merge the upstream keep alive feature first? because it's
> a valuable and simple patch.
>
> We're using React server render, and by adding Nginx as the reverse proxy
> on each server, our AWS EC2 instances count reduced 25%, from 43 to 27-37
> C4.Large instances.
>
> I wrote a detailed article to explain what happened and why it works at:
> https://theantway.com/2017/12/metrics-driven-development-how-did-i-reduced-aws-ec2-costs-to-27-and-improved-performance/
>

> The only problem now is we still using the custom patched version, which
> makes it *difficult to share the solution with other teams*. So back to the
> initial question, is it possible to merge this feature first, and you can
> create separate patches if you need to add more features later.

Sorry, but unlikely I'll be able to spend more time on this in the
upcoming couple of weeks at least.  And I certainly don't want to
commit incomplete solution, as keepalive_requests might be
equally important for some workloads.

Meanwhile, you may want to consider solutions which do not require
any patching, in particular:

- configuring upstream group and proxy_next_upstream
  appropriately, so nginx will retry failed requests (this is the
  default as long as you have more than one upstream server
  configured and requests are idempotent);

- tuning your backend to use higher keepalive timeouts, which will
  made the race unlikely.