PATCH: Add $fqdn stream and http variable.

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sat Nov 24 12:35:07 UTC 2018

Hello!

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 02:31:17PM -0800, David Coles wrote:

> # HG changeset patch
> # User David Coles <coles.david at gmail.com>
> # Date 1543000128 0
> #      Fri Nov 23 19:08:48 2018 +0000
> # Node ID 8e014e3bdfbda3c7a22c7980c163bcea1c4474b3
> # Parent  be5cb9c67c05ccaf22dab7abba78aa4c1545a8ee
> Add $fqdn stream and http variable.
>
> This exposes the system's fully-qualified domain name as reported by calling
> getaddrbyname on the hostname. Typically $hostname will only contain the first
> segment of the host's domainname.

[...]

No, thank you.  This change makes nginx startup unconditionally
dependant on the DNS availability.  This is not something we are
going to accept.

Also, the $hostname variable is expected to be FQDN on systems
participating in the DNS.  If it's not FQDN in your case, you may
want to consider reconfiguring your system.  See
http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx/2017-February/052885.html
for a previous discussion on the topic.