Send headers in output body filter ?

Alfred Sawaya alfred at huji.fr
Fri Mar 26 23:56:16 UTC 2021

Actually, I will need to modify the http status code depending on the
output body contents, so it is not just a question of  content-length,
it is more general than that : I need to have the full backend response
(headers + body) in order to produce the full client response.

It does not seem possible as I understand that the read upstream - write
downstream loop is hardcoded into nginx, and a module does not have any
chance to change that, isn't it ?

ngx_http_upstream_send_request ->

    ngx_http_upstream_process_header ->

        ngx_http_upstream_send_response ->

            ngx_http_send_header and then loop read upstream / write
downstream.

Thank again.