how nginx can improve imap webaccess

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 18:14:13 MSK 2007

Hello

I looked for long information about how nginx can improve IMAP !
After hour I found this useful remark from Igor on this list:

  You need nginx IMAP/POP3 proxy only if

  1) you have several IMAP/POP3 backends,
  2) you need the single enter point, say, mail.domain.com,
  3) and you have a LOT of IMAP/POP3 accounts (e.g. as
     fastmail.fm: http://blog.fastmail.fm/?p=592 )

I was expecting nginx was able to filter login/logout command
needed by "connection less" request from web client!
But it doesnt happend !

Then my question ! Can nginx improve IMAP web client accesses ?

I know IMAP protocol, and I don't see myself how to could be easy to cache
status or LIST result, this why I ask.

Regards

Alain Spineux

PS : Maybe the Igor's remark should be somewhere in the wiki !