Fair Proxy Balancer

Janko Hauser jh at zscout.de
Fri Nov 23 01:16:57 MSK 2007

Am 22.11.2007 um 22:38 schrieb Adam Zell:

> Hello,
>
> In case people haven't seen it:
>   http://www.brainspl.at/articles/2007/11/09/a-fair-proxy-balancer-
> for-nginx-and-mongrel
>
> "So EngineYard.com put out a bounty on getting a fair proxy balancer
> that would keep track of when a mongrel is busy and not send requests
> to it until it has finished and is ready to take requests. This means
> that now we can effectively queue inside nginx very efficiently and
> only send requests to non busy mongrels. Thereby avoiding the waiting
> in the wrong line for service problem described above."
>
> I am guessing that the strategy is at the network level, so it should
> work with non-mongrel back-ends.

Great news, this will be a huge step also for the case of Zope zeo-
deployments. One question, how is the busy state determined? In case
of zeo each backend client can take some defined number of requests
in parallel, how is such a case handled? (Not knowing mongrels, are
they taking only one request each?)

With regards,

__Janko Hauser

Janko Hauser  email:  jhauser at zscout.de