XSLT & hello

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Apr 8 14:37:34 MSD 2008

Hello!

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:02:47AM +0100, Chris Farmiloe wrote:

>Hi, I've recently been thinking about simplifying my future web
>applications by making the back ends only speak XML .... and using XSL
>to present the information in browsers.
>
>Although the browser world appears to be ready now for client-side
>XSLT, I'm not sure the search-engines are... as a result I think I
>must still perform server side XSLT.
>
>I'm considering building an nginx module that could perform the
>transformations, but not having any experience writing modules for
>nginx, I thought I'd ask if this is wise? or maybe something like this
>would be better suited being proxied to a separate HTTP service?
>
>any thoughts would be appreciated?

I'm planning to implement nginx XSLT module for a while, and
studied the problem in detail.

The main problem with XSLT is that in general you can't transform
XML document unless it's fully parsed, and thus nginx will be
forced to buffer entire backend answer before transforming.  This
will have obvious memory implications.

So, if you already have your XML parsed somewhere in you app - it
would be more efficient to transform it there.