HTTP PUT for file uploads

Michael nginx at thismetalsky.org
Fri Aug 1 18:06:11 MSD 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 13:10:46, Phillip B Oldham said...

> Don't want to sound off, but isn't that what FTP was designed for?

FTP is such an awful protocol to deal with regarding firewalls, I'd much rather
go the way the original poster is and use HTTP PUT for insecure stuff, and SFTP
for secure stuff.

But 2GB?  That's huge... a lot for an end-user to just sit and watch without
clicking reload or something.

> You may have to test this, but I'd assume the maint-stream browsers support
> PUT via the XMLHTTPRequest javascript object.

I was just doing some of this myself yesterday - doesn't seem like there's a
way to do file uploads with AJAX, but you can easily make a form with a target
iframe... but this is really offtopic for the nginx list.

--
Michael Stella  |  IT Systems Architect
PGP: 1024D/BC3FF6D4 2BC2 A79B 88D1 218A B32B  ED7A 2EC2 1206 BC3F F6D4