module proposal: BOSH

Igor Clark igor at pokelondon.com
Thu Aug 7 13:31:22 MSD 2008

I can obviously see how clever a lot of it is, but am I the only
person who finds all this Comet/Bayeux/BOSH/Javascript "TCP sockets"/
etc stuff slightly unsettling? If you push and bend (e.g.) HTTP to do
all this stuff it was never intended to do, won't it, and all the
infrastructure supporting it, eventually just break? OK, so there's
Jetty and nginx can handle loads of keepalives and so on and so forth,
but ...

If people want bidirectional comms with browsers, if they want publish/
subscribe mechanisms, wouldn't all this work by very clever people be
better directed towards getting a sensible security infrastructure in
place to allow listening sockets in client sandboxes, rather than
building ever bigger wrappers with sticky tape and bits of string?

</devil's advocate>

--
Igor Clark • POKE • 10 Redchurch Street • E2 7DD • +44 (0)20 7749 5355
• www.pokelondon.com