nginx-0.7.9

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 09:37:08 MSD 2008

On 8/12/08, mike <mike503 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/12/08, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:
>
> > It doesn't "check the listing".  It only checks existence of directory.
> > This saves some syscalls if directory doesn't exists and more than two index
> > files configured.
>
> Hmm.
>
> In which case, I guess I don't care, it -adds- a syscall for me where
> I don't need one, but as long as it does not error out on a 0711 web
> directory (the dir exists, it just is not executable/listable for
> non-owner!)
>
> Personally I like allowing the user to customize how many items they
> check for. That gives ultimate control of performance to the end user.
> If they don't like extra syscalls, force them to rename their files or
> something. :p

was any decision ever made on this?

was hoping to see it in .10... it adds a syscall if there is more than
one index file enabled (from my logic) and it doesn't hurt anything if
there's only one defined since it falls back to normal directory
behavior anyway right?

the only people this affects negatively are those with multiple index
files defined who have become used to how nginx handles it and are
used to that many syscalls/order of operations. and that is as simple
as changing their config or renaming their files so it matches the
first index file defined...

thanks