Fair Proxy Balancer

Alexander Staubo alex at purefiction.net
Sat Feb 9 03:33:56 MSK 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 4:47 PM, Grzegorz Nosek <grzegorz.nosek at gmail.com> wrote:
> When nginx connects to haproxy, the connection will succeed (as haproxy
> is still alive) but when haproxy tries to connect to any backend (let's
> say they're all dead or a switch failed etc.), the connection
> (haproxy->backend) will eventually time out. However, from nginx's point
> of view, the connection succeeded (haproxy replied), so it sends the
> request which then times out or dies with a connection reset.

I see. That's a valid point.

Actually, I never considered that one might use HAProxy behind Nginx
in the first place. Rather, I assumed HAProxy would be a more
naturally placed *before* Nginx, if one wanted, say, a more strictly
layered setup where a dedicated proxy did the proxying and a web
server such as Nginx did the static file serving.

Alexander.