Adrian Perez adrianperez at udc.es
Fri Jan 18 23:01:01 MSK 2008

El Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:36:41 -0800
Cliff Wells <cliff at develix.com> escribió:

> Why do you need to specify libdir?  Are you running a hybrid 32/64-bit
> system?
>
> > if anyone got it to work on 64bit linux based os, please give me the
> > hint i need to get the show rolling.
>
> I'm running 64-bit (Opteron) on Gentoo, but didn't do anything special
> to make it work.

Gentoo on x86-64 systems follows the FHS strictly, so /lib is a
symlink to /lib64 and /usr/lib to /usr/lib64... that's why you don't
need anything special to link against 64-bit libraries. Other distros
do the opposite (i.e. linking /lib to /lib32 and so on) because that
is «supposed to be more compatible».

I haven't used pure 64-bit systems, but it is supposed that /lib
and /usr/lib are not symlinks but true directories in that case. (At
least that's what I read in the FHS...)

Regards,

--
Software without tests *sucks*. Software with tests sucks *less*.
        -- (A.P.)