what a worker does?

Mark Foster mfoster at bitpusher.com
Tue Jul 1 01:27:55 MSD 2008

Paul wrote:
> A worker is  a process of nginx.. Each process is multithreaded and
> can handle thousands of connections each.
> You can have one worker and 50,000 connections to it, but it's good to
> have at least as many workers as you have CPUs and I usually multiply
> this times 4 (so 4 worker per CPU)..
> Worker connections is how many connections each process (worker) can
> have open at one time (max files open, sockets, etc)

I would like to know if this really makes more sense that just using
1-to-1 workers to CPUs.
Have you done any benchmark to determine the 4-to-1 ratio gives better
performance?
What is the "best practice?"
Thanks.

--
Mark Foster - Sr. Systems Engineer - BitPusher, LLC
We push your bits so you don't have to! http://www.bitpusher.com/