php fastcgi support - how do u do it?

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Wed Jul 16 13:18:12 MSD 2008

Almir Karic ha scritto:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:58:36PM -0700, mike wrote:
>> On 7/15/08, Marcos Neves <marcos.neves at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> For a shared hosting, what are the advantages of php-fpm over mod_php?
>> You can setup a separate fastcgi pool for each user. That way if their
>> scripts get exploited, the only files they'll be able to mess with are
>> that user.
>
> mod_suphp can do that as well.
>
>> I'd say php-fpm is even more useful for shared hosting since you can
>> easily define multiple pools (one for each user for instance) - that's
>> how I use it right now. The other key benefit (apache-style process
>> spawning) is coming soon, not quite finished yet. Between both of
>> those, that takes care of my two key desires.
>
> but is apache style process spawning really a good idea? i mean i'm
> replacing apache with nginx because the idea of apache's scaling is
> ''thread/fork as much as you can, as soon as you can and not a
> thread/process less'' :-)

There are no other solutions if you want to serve generic "slow"
applications.
With some application, it is even better if you fork for each request,
instead of preforking.

Make sure you have a decent hardware and an application that is as much
restful it can, so that you can scale it without problems.

Manlio Perillo