php fastcgi support - how do u do it?

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 13:29:59 MSD 2008

On 7/16/08, Almir Karic <almir at kiberpipa.org> wrote:

> mod_suphp can do that as well.

I ran suphp for a bit. it could not handle the load on my servers. it
looks like it essentially runs an actual php cgi process to handle
each request. That's hardly scalable. Oh yeah - it requires Apache.
Puke.

> but is apache style process spawning really a good idea? i mean i'm
> replacing apache with nginx because the idea of apache's scaling is
> ''thread/fork as much as you can, as soon as you can and not a
> thread/process less'' :-)

Andrei calls it apache style. Basically I think it's just a basic
"Have $x number of engines at start, have max of $y engines, keep $z
engines idle" etc...

It's not really a straight apples to apples comparison of apache vs.
nginx style of handling processes... that's just the title he's given
it on how you define the threshholds, I believe.