Nginx - TCP balancer

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Jun 12 00:32:50 MSD 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:21:24PM +0200, Renaud Allard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Kamil Gorlo wrote:
>
>> So, I have another 2 machines (this time, they have only single core)
>> which I want to be load balancers. But they cannot work on HTTP layer,
>> as a standard load balancer, because of SSL - they simply does not
>> have resources to do this SSL stuff. My idea is to use some kind of
>> transparent load balancer on those machines - they should only forward
>> requests to backends and all resource consuming work should be done on
>> backends (SSL handshake, etc.).
>> Can Nginx do that? If not, do you know any tools which can work as TCP
>> balancers (I found HAProxy, but haven't tested it)?
>> Do you have any experience in similar situations?
>
> OpenBSD's relayd (formerly hoststated) can do this and performs extremely
> well.
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=relayd.conf&sektion=5&arch=&apropos=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current

And significant work is being done on it as we speak, so expect better
performance and more features. Look for highlights of the new work to
appear some time soon at http://undeadly.org/

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/