Problems with fastcgi php migration

Carlos carloscm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 12:16:14 MSK 2008

I'm using CodeIgniter (a PHP framework) with "pretty URLs" which comes
close to what you want to achieve. This is what my server section
looks like:

server {
                include conf/php-fcgi.conf;

                location / {
                        index           index.php index.html;
                        if (-f $request_filename) {
                                break;
                        }
                        if (!-f $request_filename) {
                                rewrite ^/(.*)$ /index.php/$1 last;

and php-fcgi.conf:

        location ~ .*\.php.*$ {
                fastcgi_param  GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1;
                fastcgi_param  SERVER_SOFTWARE    nginx;
                fastcgi_param  QUERY_STRING       $query_string;
                fastcgi_param  REQUEST_METHOD     $request_method;
                fastcgi_param  CONTENT_TYPE       $content_type;
                fastcgi_param  CONTENT_LENGTH     $content_length;
                fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME
$document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
                fastcgi_param  PATH_TRANSLATED
$document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
                fastcgi_param  REQUEST_URI        $request_uri;
                fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_URI       $document_uri;
                fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_ROOT      $document_root;
                fastcgi_param  SERVER_PROTOCOL    $server_protocol;
                fastcgi_param  REMOTE_ADDR        $remote_addr;
                fastcgi_param  REMOTE_PORT        $remote_port;
                fastcgi_param  SERVER_ADDR        $server_addr;
                fastcgi_param  SERVER_PORT        $server_port;
                fastcgi_param  SERVER_NAME        $server_name;
                fastcgi_pass   127.0.0.1:9001;
                fastcgi_index  index.php;
        }

This allows me to directly refer a php file in any location and get it
executed by fastcgi, and at the same time any non-existing file (like
/galleries/1/2/3 in your example) is matched by "if (!-f
$request_filename)" and gets passed to fastcgi as
"/index.php/galleries/1/2/3". Static content is handled directly by
nginx. I think you could use a similar setup with several location
entries that reference a different index.(shtml|php) in the second
"if".