SSL support in Debian (etch) package

Zak Elep zakame at mor.ph
Fri May 23 20:55:13 MSD 2008

Igor Sysoev wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 09:15:07AM -0700, kingler wrote:
>
>> I believe the Debian nginx package is pretty old version as well.
>> Etch(Stable) branch is version 0.4.13
>>
>> http://packages.debian.org/etch/nginx
>>
>> I wish I knew more about Debian packaging. But if someone is familiar
>> with the packaging process, maybe he could ping the maintainer of the
>> package and offer assistance to update the nginx package. It will
>> definitely make things easier for nginx first-timers to try out on
>> Debian platform.

Debian has a backports repository,[0] where one can use via APT to grab
newer nginx packages built against the current (etch) and oldstable
(sarge) Debian dependencies.  Current backport version is 0.5.35-1~bpo40+1.

[0]  http://www.backports.org

Also, there is a concise list of all nginx packages available across
Debian versions on the Package Tracking System;[1] with some knowledge
of Debian's packaging infrastructure, it is possible for one to backport
more recent versions of the nginx package (or even the latest 0.6.31
source, just needing Debian-specific configuration,) to older Debian
releases.

[1]  http://packages.debian.org/src:nginx

> Actually, I created Debian packages some time ago.
> I may include them in tarball, however, I have no Debian to test it.
>
> BTW, is it possible to create packages without updating package changelog ?

Yes, if you're using the full Debian packaging infrastructure with
devscripts,[2] you can do a `debuild` on the unpacked source root
directory with the debian/ tree on it to do a build, regardless of
whether the changelog is updated.  Furthermore, you can do a build that
doesn't generate GPG-signed .dsc and .changes files by doing a `debuild
-us -uc` instead.

[2]  http://packages.debian.org/devscripts

Cheers,

Zakame