How to enable Nginx to serve PHP code/pages in Ubuntu

Edho P Arief edho at myconan.net
Tue Nov 4 16:33:12 MSK 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Mark Alan <varia at e-healthexpert.org> wrote:
> Edho P Arief wrote:
>
>> many said "use php-fpm"
>
> I have also read many things about php-fpm but...
>
> - you need to check that there are php-fpm patches for the specific PHP
> version that you intend to use;
> - you need to hand recompile PHP to use it,
yes, unfortunately. Thankfully PHP isn't released every other day.

> - you need to hand customize the paths of the recompiled code
does it even matter? (--prefix ?)

> - you must comply with the awkward php-fpm license (non free/non OSI?)
AFAIK it's currently licensed under GPL

> And each time a new security/bug-fix release of PHP is out, you need to
> start it all over again.
>
> We still do prefer the Ubuntu "LESS IS MORE" way of doing things:
>  sudo aptitude update
>  sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
>
> ...and it is done!
>
> After a few days of tests in the sandbox servers and after checking that all
> is well, it is a simple matter of doing the same in the production servers.
>

> M.

I'm also waiting for the day it's merged with PHP core but currently
it's the one of the best way to spawn and manage php-fcgi processes,
the other (not as good as using php-fpm) is using spawn-fcgi provided
by lighttpd (explained here
http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxFcgiExample )