fastcgi timeout at big requests

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri Apr 10 18:14:40 MSD 2009

Hello!

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 03:24:18PM +0200, Robert Gabriel wrote:

> Maxim Dounin wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 02:04:09PM +0200, Robert Gabriel wrote:
> >
> >> I have nginx 0.6.36 with php-fastcgi. Im using SquirrelMail and have a
> >> mail that is 25M, no attachement, just a text mail so big. Im trying to
> >> read it, but fastcgi ends-up in
> >> 2009/04/10 13:55:35 [error] 22626#0: *537 recv() failed (104: Connection
> >> reset by peer) while reading response header from upstream, client:

[...]

> Like I said before, in the logs at the begining I got this:
>
> PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted
>
> I modified this to 128M and didnt complain anymore, but it did complain
> about the max_execution_time and it looked like this:
>
> PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded
>
> I modified this to 240 seconds and after this didnt get any errors
> anymore from php, but got the erros in the error_log from nginx and it
> just didnt do anything... also the php-cgi process just hanged in the
> backgroud with 100% CPU usage. I had to stop fastcgi and kill then the
> process which was using 100% CPU.

So you've got the above nginx's error above after killing php
process, right?  It's expected.

> So I really dont know what else to tune in php.ini

I belive it's SquirrelMail issue - it's just unable to render
(highlite urls in text and so on) the message in question in a
reasonable time.  I'm not sure how SquirrelMail's rendering works,
but if it's regexp-based it may take forever for such a big
message.

You may try to wait a bit more - but if I'm right 240 seconds of
execution time won't be enough, it may take days to complete.  And
make sure you tuned nginx's fastcgi_read_timeout (it's 60s by
default).  You browser timeouts may be a problem too.

Anyway, it doesn't looks like nginx issue.