Nginx feature request

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Wed Apr 22 00:10:28 MSD 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 04:43:05PM +0200, Roger Pack wrote:

> > Nginx server in front could take care of. I'd rather see something like
> > Libevent (i.e. an asynchronous HTTP server engine) with embedded Python.
> > The core of Nginx is probably similar to Libevent with its HTTP layer.
> > Would be interesting to find out how Nginx core compares to Libevent
> > with HTTP layer in terms of performance.
>
> Being somewhat of a newbie, just throwing this out.
> It would indeed be interesting to see if nginx with a libev core would
> be faster than the current (ex:
> http://www.zenebo.com/word/asynchronous-programming/lighttz-a-simple-and-fast-web-server/)
>
> Though probably wouldn't be tons faster.
> Thoughts?

I do not think that using libev in nginx will change anything.

Probably, the following settings may slightly improve or worsen:

1) turing sendfile off: it may be not effective on small files.
   Also not that lighttz does not read file at all each request.

2) using open file cache, it saves 3 syscalls per request (open, fstat, close):

open_file_cache          max=1000  inactive=20s;
open_file_cache_valid    30s;
open_file_cache_min_uses 2;
open_file_cache_errors   on;

3) using buffered log:

access_log  /path/to/access.log  buffer=32k;

or turing it off at all:

access_log  off;

4) using 1 worker.

--