nginx-0.7.52

Chris Cortese cortese.consulting at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 03:34:49 MSD 2009

Just to clarify:

I'm really wanting to try Igor's latest 0.7.52 native Windows build.
Ignore the part about "cygwin" being part of the pathname.
But there is history for why "cygwin" is in my path at all:

1.  I first was trying the cygwin build from the link out there on the
net.
http://www.softwareprojects.com/resources/programming/t-how-to-install-nginx-php-php-fpm-and-mysql-under-1616.html
Using that link and a couple other things I had to find / figure out, I
was able to get nginx and php-fpm working on Windows, but I could not
get the crypt() function to understand / do md5.  This meant I couldn't
log in to my local website and so this was kind of useless.

2.  I next tried 0.7.50 from kevinworthington.com.  I think it could
have worked but it insisted on looking for nginx.conf down under the
/cygwin place where I had built nginx from source (see #1, above).  I
could not figure out how to tell it just to use nginx.conf from
c:\nginx\conf\nginx.conf.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling cygwin
and nginx (but cygwin is not so easy to uninstall).  That was apparently
all that I needed to get that working! (Well, I never got to the point
of testing crypt() on that attempt).

3.  Then Igor releases 0.7.52 native Windows build which I hoped would
avoid both the above problems, and it probably still will, but I am
unclear as to what kind of paths are expected.  Somewhere I read that
for the SCRIPT_FILENAME, I should include the drive letter, but for the
"root" directive, I should not...???  And I did not know if double
quotes should be used, etc.... I can find no documentation on proper
paths for the new 0.7.52 native Windows build nginx.conf.

I'll keep trying.  Hope that history explains how I got there and why
"cygwin" still is in my nginx.conf.  I'm no longer trying to use the
cygwin build.   I just happen to have my web codebase still in that
location (I've also tried other locations, like c:\nginx\html\www\...etc)

Thanks!
Chris