memcached not caching

rhjheins nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri Dec 4 01:37:49 MSK 2009

Currently I am testing nginx as a reverse-proxy/load ballencer and the basic setup is working perfect. But memcached is not caching any content

System: Ubuntu 9.10 server with nginx (from ubuntu repository) and memcached (from ubuntu repository)

I have three backend server presumed named server1, server2, server 3 and the nginx server is called nginx_test
My  nginx.conf:

user www-data;
worker_processes  2;

error_log  /var/log/nginx/error.log;
pid        /var/run/nginx.pid;

events {
        worker_connections  1024;
        use epoll;
}

http {
        include         /etc/nginx/mime.types;
        default_type    application/octet-stream;
        access_log      /var/log/nginx/access.log;
        sendfile        on;
        server_tokens   off;
        upstream cluster {
                server server1 ip addr weight=1
		server server2 ip addr weight=1;
		server server3 ip addr weight=1;
        }
        server {
                listen nginxserver ip addr:80;
                server_name nginx_test;
                location        / {
                        expires                 max;
                        set $memcached_key      $uri;
                        default_type text/html;
                        memcached_pass          localhost:11211;
                        error_page              404 502 = @cache_miss;
                }
                location @cache_miss {
                        proxy_pass              http://cluster;
                        proxy_redirect          off;
                        proxy_set_header        Host $host;
                        proxy_set_header        X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
                        proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
                        proxy_buffers           8 32k;
                }
                # requesting nginx status
                location /nginx_status {
                        stub_status     on;
                        access_log      off;
                        allow           all;
        #gzip
        gzip  on;
        gzip_http_version       1.0;
        gzip_min_length 1000;
        gzip_buffers    16 8k;
        gzip_comp_level 5;
        gzip_proxied    any;
        gzip_types      text/plain text/css application/javascript text/javascript text/xml application/x-javascript;
        gzip_disable "MSIE [1-6]\.(?!.*SV1)";
}

restarting nginx gives no faults and when using the reverse_proxy everything works but the memcached part is not resulting in faster loading of the pages. when I telnet into memcached en give the command stats it shows no cached objects:

Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
stats
STAT pid 11415