port 11211 (memcached default) not open

Yuval Hager yhager at yhager.com
Tue Dec 29 22:56:59 MSK 2009

On Monday 28 December 2009, Maxim Dounin wrote:
> Also, you probably want to know that on modern operating
> systems it is usually bad idea to place files into memory
> explicitly.  Virtual memory subsystem will do it automatically as
> long as you have spare memory on your server, and will likely do
> it better than may be done by hand.
>
> Other points in the post you linked are... uhm, questionable too
> (you may want to read "incorrect" here, but I'm not going to
> argue).  You probably want to disregard this post instead of
> following it.

Yes, I agree the linked post provides a somewhat twisted scenario for using
memcache. A better use case is to store full web pages that are generated by
the app and use memcache timeouts to ensure files served are not stale. This
would become more useful if you have several web heads and want to share the
caching.

With one server, I am not sure which will be better - to use the
fastcgi/proxy caching by nginx, or memcache - I am guessing that if there is
a difference it will be subtle anyway.

--yuval