Variables in access_log

merlin corey merlincorey at dc949.org
Tue Jul 7 04:41:40 MSD 2009

I believe server_name now supports some variables but maybe this is
just in development branch.  The official documentation is in Russian
and located at http://sysoev.ru/nginx/docs/ .  There is also a wiki at
http://wiki.nginx.org with English and Chinese translations of some of
the documentation, but it is not always up to date or complete.
Google translate can do a readable job in many cases, and the
configuration language is always the same in any language, plus there
is the common language C that nginx is written in.  These are the
sources you should look through.

Completely separately regarding configurations, I am under the
understanding that nginx performs better with fully specified server
names.  It should be easy enough to put common configuration into
files which you include in each server { } block as necessary.  This
can easily be generated by a script so you don't have to do it by hand
if you have a lot of domains.  The benefits are you get the common
configuration, separate error logging, separate access logging, and
flexibility to make individual host changes while efficiently
selecting proper server blocks.

-- Merlin