Log Files Overwritten

Jonathan McCoy lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Jun 18 17:17:23 MSD 2009

Hi,

Our NGINX box keeled a few weeks back... We've just come to process the
access log files, to find that they have been overwritten, and start
from when the NGINX process was started again.

Now, we've worked with NGINX a lot, and never experienced this before.

Of the number of log files that NGINX writes (one for each app, and a
virtual host log), only the virtual host log is intact, along with the
error log. The other 7 or 8 logs start from the next time a user
connected to NGINX after the restart.

We've tried FSCK the disk, and nothing appears (Lost+Found is not even
created, there's nothing to be recovered), and we've tried hunting
around for it. And there's nothing in the log rotation either - so it's
not like we've expunged them by accident either.

What happened, as is there any chance we can recover the logs?!

Thanks!