"An error occurred while writing CGI reply" with fcgiwrap

taha nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Jun 18 18:14:53 MSD 2009

Hi,

I am using fcgiwrap from http://nginx.localdomain.pl/wiki/FcgiWrap to run Perl scripts with Nginx (0.6.35) and first it functioned just fine but then suddenly it stopped working with one application (Movable Type) and only returns message "An error occurred while writing CGI reply".  I tested some other simple Perl scripts and with those it still works fine and returns the normal content.  I also tested executing the problematic scripts from command line and from there those still worked normally.

Nginx access log is showing 502 errors for the requests which produce the mentioned error message.  Nothing in error log.

Here is CGI part of the site Nginx configuration:

location ~ ^/cgi-bin/.*\.cgi$ {
	gzip off;
	fastcgi_pass  unix:/path/to/cgi.sock;
	fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME /path/to/www.domain.tld$fastcgi_script_name;
	fastcgi_param SCRIPT_NAME $fastcgi_script_name;
	fastcgi_param DOCUMENT_ROOT /path/to/www.domain.tld/;
	include     /path/to/fastcgi_params;
}

Any ideas what could be causing this?