nginx vs apache as a reverse proxy

Chang Song Chang.Song at me.com
Mon Mar 2 13:20:07 MSK 2009

I have found similar issue before.
Usually it is the number of sockets in TIME_WAIT (due to non keepalive).

Do you have KeepAlive in the backend Apache server?
Try to widen local_port_range and number of sockets in TIME_WAIT.

tcp_max_tw_buckets=800000 (YMMV)
tcp_tw_recycle=1
tcp_tw_resue=1
tcp_timestamps=1     (usually performance hit, but in this situation,
it will help)