spawn-fcgi-1.6.0rc1-r16 prerelease]

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 02:20:59 MSK 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Grzegorz Nosek <grzegorz.nosek at gmail.com> wrote:

> spawn-fcgi doesn't care about php engines, CGI processes and whatnot.
> If your bug report contains the word PHP, then it _certainly_ isn't
> about spawn-fcgi. There is *never* a single point in time when both
> spawn-fcgi and php-fcgi run side by side (one simply becomes the other).

Wrong. Well, partially.

spawn-fcgi has -C *for PHP only* and I believe I saw it should
inherit/understand the PHP_MAX_FCGI_REQUESTS environment variable. So
it does have PHP-specific configuration (-C)

This is a thread I started a while back:
http://forum.lighttpd.net/topic/5906

> Are you positive you can reproduce a bug using spawn-fcgi and not using
> php -b? That would be mildly interesting (another one in the endless
> stream of PHP bugs).

Yes.

I used PHP_MAX_FCGI_REQUESTS=100 or whatever the variable was with php
-b and hammered the test site. I saw the process ID's changing in my
process list, i.e. when it hit 100 requests, the child was terminated
and a new one was created.

With spawn-fcgi I could throw it thousands of requests and the
processes never terminated themselves.

While not a showstopper it was a lacking feature of php's fastcgi
support to prevent memory leaking.