Nginx - Google Summer of Code ideas

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Mar 12 04:02:40 MSK 2009

Hello!

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:36:41PM +0100, Johan Bergström wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mar 10, 2009, at 12:50 , C. wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm organizing some google summer of code ideas for our organization
>> and
>> nginx could play a very interesting and key role in one of them.  So
>> two quick questions.
>>
>> 1) Would anyone be willing to mentor a student?
>> 2) What are some other ideas that we could possibly add to the list to
>> make it exciting?
>
> Here's two ideas/suggestions from my wish list:
>
> 1: Nginx should keepalive connections against proxied backends
> This could/should apply to all kinds of backends ranging from http to
> FastCGI. While digging into backend unification, why not enable

Keepalive to memcached backends works perfectly with
ngx_http_upstream_keepalive module.

Making it work with http & fastcgi backends requires some
non-trivial modifications in proxy/fastcgi/upstream modules and
nginx core.  I have some work-in-progress for this, but it's not
yet complete.

> memcached as a "standard" backend instead of a third party module (of
> course compile-time option)? I recall seeing proof of concepts on this
> at this mailing list.

Memcached *is* standard backend, not a "third party module".  And
it shares most of it's code with http backends (proxy_pass) and
fastcgi backends (fastcgi_pass).