Nginx with LVS on Linux

hirantha hirantha at securedpipe.net
Thu Mar 19 19:02:35 MSK 2009

Hi Cherife,

Thank you for the quick response.

Cherife Li wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 at 16:56:41 +0530, hirantha wrote:
>
>> Hi,
> Hi Hirantha,
>> I'm planing to use nginx on existing LVS load balancer with more than 10
>> numbers of web servers as back-ends. My main objective is to use nginx
>> as a reverse-proxy while compressing the data streaming. Since the LVS
>> running on Linux, I have planned to run the Nginx on the same Linux box
>> though I have tested it on FreeBSD.
>>
>> Here is the setup I am looking for
>>
>> [CLIENT] --> [NGINX+LVS+PULSE] --> [WEB SERVER FLEET]
> Maybe offing topic, but you may try:
>   Clients --> Varnish (for caching) --> HAProxy (L7 LB/Proxy) --> Nginx WebSrvs

My idea is to use nginx to do compression for back-end servers. HAProxy or Varnish does not support
such feature. I don't need nginx to do load balance and persistence but only compression. LVS doing
an outstanding job on load balancing and session handling (persistence) while pulse (piranha) doing
  helthchecks and failovers.

I have read some post of persistence+round robin within nginx which seems to be not successful.

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Hirantha