Proxy Cache and Range Requests

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Tue May 26 13:55:04 MSD 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 05:18:25PM -0500, Resicow wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> Currently I am using proxy_cache, but have a question on how nginx
> handles range requests for a file that is not currently in cache. Will
> nginx simply proxy the file and not cache it, or download the entire
> file into cache, but just serve the range request to the client.

nginx gets the entire file and returns the range to the client.
There is issue with multiple ranges in one request (although this is
rare case, as I know only Acrobat Reader does such requests).
For the first request when response would be cached, nginx is able
to serve only first range of the request. But with already cached response
nginx is able to serve all ranges of the request.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/