bug in nginx-0.8.28

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Nov 26 15:00:18 MSK 2009

Hello!

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 03:28:22AM -0800, Paul Roland wrote:

> requests with no pauses using apache's benchmark.

With concurrency == 1 (ab -c 1, the default)?  So it's expected
result, not a bug.

> I need a way to limit 5 connections per ip.
>
> also tried:
>
> limit_zone   one  $binary_remote_addr  10m;
> limit_conn   one  5;
>
> this setting is completely ignored for some reasons.

If you try to do this while having "limit_req_zone ...
zone=one:10m ..." in config, you should see something like this
while starting nginx or testing configuration:

[emerg]: the shared memory zone "one" is already declared for a different use in ...

I believe this message is self-explaining.

Note well: limit_conn limits number of connections which process
requests (not just established/kept alive connections, and not
even connections reading request headers).  It's effect usually
can't be seen while testing against small static file (as request
processing happens in one turn here).

Maxim Dounin