Launch FastCGI process?

jlist9 jlist9 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 21:24:29 MSD 2009

I'm not sure if lighttpd is launching fcgi processes directly or it's doing
that via spawn-fcgi (I think it's directly) but it looks the same to me, in
the sense that I don't have to worry about the back-end processes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - my understanding is that spawn-fcgi
is just a launcher. It doesn't really "manage" any of the process it launches.
When a fcgi process exits, lighttpd will launch another one. When no
fcgi process is running, lighttpd will start them. When lighttpd quits, it
will stop all the back-end processes it started. I think it's fair to say
that lighttpd is managing these processes.