Launch FastCGI process?

Grzegorz Nosek grzegorz.nosek at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:10:15 MSD 2009

On śro, paź 21, 2009 at 10:24:29 -0700, jlist9 wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm wrong - my understanding is that spawn-fcgi
> is just a launcher. It doesn't really "manage" any of the process it launches.

You're correct and apparently that's a common misconception about
spawn-fcgi, as in "spawn-fcgi causes timeouts in php" or some such.
spawn-fcgi only exists as a running process for a brief moment before it
*becomes* (not even spawns) the fastcgi application. See my page at
http://nginx.localdomain.pl/wiki/FcgiWrap -- there's a trivial Perl script
that duplicates much of spawn-fcgi's functionality.

> > AFAIK lighty just "talks" to the spawnfcgi daemon. Nginx could maybe do the
> > same with a plugin, but it wouldn't be managing the fastcgi processes
> > itself.

AFA*I*K, there's no "spawnfcgi daemon". If you want that, use
supervisord. As for nginx talking to supervisord, we're working on it
(mentioned elsethread).

Best regards,
 Grzegorz Nosek