Sensible Performance/Growth Strategies?

Guillaume Filion gfk at logidac.com
Mon Aug 16 17:01:00 MSD 2010

Hi,

Raina Gustafson a écrit :

>  2. I tried using Amazon S3 as a cheap CDN, but Varnish was WAY faster.

Of course a local server will be way faster than S3/Cloudfront, but the
results will likely be different for a user on the other side of the
planet because Cloudfront will have a server close to that user.

BTW, you should use cloudfront instead of S3 if you want a CDN:
http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/
> I really need to gain a better understanding of the basics of how
> everything works. My background is in fine art–not tech.
You might want to check these slides from a presentation by Ask Bjørn
Hansen about scaling web services. It helped give me a good overall
understanding of web scalability:

http://develooper.com/talks/rww-mysql-2008.pdf (189 pages, 6MB PDF)

Cheers,
GFK's