Sensible Performance/Growth Strategies?

Michael Shadle mike503 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 22:53:56 MSD 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Raina Gustafson <raina at thequeensmen.com> wrote:

> To date, I've been needing to manually re-start PHP-FPM about every
> other day due to steadily increasing memory consumption over time. I'm
> thinking about implementing a script to auto-restart it upon reaching
> a certain threshold. I'm wondering if this is a ridiculously lazy
> solution, or a reasonably respectable one.

what's your pm.max_requests set to?

it's the normal way to recycle PHP engines after N number of requests
in an attempt to avoid memory leakage over time.

what are you looking at to show/detect memory consumption? top? ps? free?

note that over time more "free" memory gets thrown into the "cached"
bucket, and that memory is able to be reused, the kernel just doesn't
mark it as free (at least on Linux, and I believe I summarized it
right)