ipv4 & ipv6 Virtual Hosting - address in use

Igor Sysoev igor at sysoev.ru
Wed Dec 1 23:08:09 MSK 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 02:24:24PM -0500, David J. wrote:

> I have latest nginx configured;
>
> I have one that is purely ipv6 and one that is purely ipv4;
>
> They both work fine in a multi-server environment;
>
> server {
>          listen          80;
> #       listen       [::]:80 ipv6only=on;
>
>          server_name  domain1.com;
>
>          #charset koi8-r;
>
>          #access_log  logs/host.access.log  main;
>
>          location / {
>              root   html;
>              index  index.html index.htm;
>          }
>
> }
>
> server {
>          listen          80;
> #       listen       [::]:80 ipv6only=on;
>
>          server_name  domain2.com;
>
>          #charset koi8-r;
>
>          #access_log  logs/host.access.log  main;
>
>          location / {
>              root   html;
>              index  index.html index.htm;
>          }
> }
>
> If I un-comment to bind to ipv6 as well as ipv4; when nginx starts it
> complains the address is in use;
>
> I saw a patch for this here is the post;
>
> But according to that post it has been included in 8.39 I am using 8.53

What OS do you use ?

This
       listen       80;
       listen       [::]:80 ipv6only=on;
should work, however, if you add "ipv6only=on" to existant configuration
and reload it using -HUP, then it does not work. You should stop nginx
and start it again due to the IPV6_V6ONLY option behaviour.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/