504 Timeout when running PHP script

djeyewater nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Mar 16 13:08:34 MSK 2010

I have a PHP script that processes a folder of images, it takes quite a while to do this, but should produce output as it goes along. But when running this script I get a 504 Timeout, probably after 60s. The script also appears to stop running, so I end up with some database records written, and others not. (Does nginx send a signal to the fastcgi process to tell it to stop what it's doing and get on with the next request?)

I checked the Nginx logs for the site, and weirdly there wasn't anything in there about the timeout (I'm using the default error log level).

I'm running PHP as fastcgi, the relevant section of the Nginx config is:

location /admin/ {
		auth_basic            "Restricted";
		auth_basic_user_file  /home/djeyewater/SSI/davidkennardphotography/.htpasswd;

		#rewrite any .xhtml page to page.php
		rewrite ^/(.+)\.xhtml$ /$1.php;
	}

	location /admin/batch-upload.php {
		auth_basic            "Restricted";
		auth_basic_user_file  /home/djeyewater/SSI/davidkennardphotography/.htpasswd;
		add_header    Cache-Control  "private, must-revalidate";
		fastcgi_read_timeout 1200;
               	fastcgi_pass   unix:/home/djeyewater/webapps/php/php.sock;
	}

	location ~ ^/admin/.*\.php {
		auth_basic            "Restricted";
		auth_basic_user_file  /home/djeyewater/SSI/davidkennardphotography/.htpasswd;
		add_header    Cache-Control  "private, must-revalidate";
		fastcgi_read_timeout 120;
               	fastcgi_pass   unix:/home/djeyewater/webapps/php/php.sock;
	}

And I'm accessing the page as /batch-upload.xhtml

Thanks

Dave

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,64302,64302#msg-64302