nginx doesn't handle different URL encodings well

Edho P Arief edhoprima at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 04:37:59 MSD 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:09 AM, Pierre-Marie Baty <baty.pm at hotmail.fr> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. I followed your advice and tried many locale combinations today.
>
> Unfortunately none of them helped. I can't use UTF-8 as locale because FreeBSD's FFS has no support for multibyte filenames. So if I want the system "ls" command to output "été-2008.jpg" and not something weird, I have to use one of the 8-bit locales. Currently my LANG is fr_FR.ISO8859-15 (same as Latin-1 plus the €uro sign).

except that I tried that in FreeBSD too.

To get proper ls output with utf-8 filename you have to:
- ensure the filename is in utf-8
- ensure shell locale is set to utf-8
- ensure terminal locale is set to utf-8

One incorrect locale in the chain and you will get broken result.

Additionally, being able to see "été-2008.jpg" using LANG other than
UTF-8 means that the filename is not stored in UTF-8, shell locale is
not in UTF-8, and terminal locale is not in UTF-8.

In which setting ONLY shell locale to UTF-8 won't help at all. After
setting terminal and shell locale to UTF-8 you must rename the file to
UTF-8.