nginx doesn't handle different URL encodings well

Pierre-Marie Baty baty.pm at hotmail.fr
Fri Oct 22 12:24:04 MSD 2010

> From: edhoprima at gmail.com
> Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 07:37:59 +0700
> To: nginx at nginx.org
> Subject: Re: nginx doesn't handle different URL encodings well
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:09 AM, Pierre-Marie Baty wrote:
> >

> > Thanks for the tip. I followed your advice and tried many locale combinations today.
> >
> > Unfortunately none of them helped. I can't use UTF-8 as locale because FreeBSD's FFS has no support for multibyte filenames. So if I want the system "ls" command to output "été-2008.jpg" and not something weird, I have to use one of the 8-bit locales. Currently my LANG is fr_FR.ISO8859-15 (same as Latin-1 plus the €uro sign).
> >

> except that I tried that in FreeBSD too.
>
> To get proper ls output with utf-8 filename you have to:
> - ensure the filename is in utf-8
> - ensure shell locale is set to utf-8
> - ensure terminal locale is set to utf-8
>
> One incorrect locale in the chain and you will get broken result.

Could you clarify the last two points for me ?

I use this in /etc/profile (my shell is bash):

export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
export MM_CHARSET=UTF-8

According to the handbook there is no need to set LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE.
And my terminal is a ssh session (putty), thus I suppose I don't need to edit /etc/ttys.

Am I missing something ? Could you show me your env or tell me what else I need to change ? It would help a lot. Thank you.

--
Pierre-Marie Baty