forward arguments in upload module

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Jun 14 21:31:11 MSD 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 02:07:35AM -0400, vetri wrote:

Hi there,

it looks like your backend is still unclear about the difference between
POST data and query strings. This is not nginx-related, but more like
CGI programming (or writing a form handler).

>   In the Server log i printed  Field name and value .here what i got
> when i upload  nginx.tar.gz
>
>     Field Name is      file1.name                      Field Value is
> nginx.tar.gz
>
>     Field Name is      file1.content_type          Field Value is
> application/x-zip
>
>     Field Name is       file1.path                         Field value
> is    /home/vetriselvanm/Desktop/upload/0000000001

This means your backend will be getting the same key/value pairs.

>    My backend server will parse the key value pair and it will print it.
> for example if it recieves  name=run.txt
>
>    it will print  paramname ::name  and paramvalue::run.txt
>
>   after the file is uploded i am receiving notification but  no
> key=value is passed to backend .

The key/value pair is passed to the backend. It is not passed like
key=value in the query string; it is instead passed like

------------------------------8c04206dfc20

value
------------------------------8c04206dfc20

within the POST body.

For each

  upload_set_form_field key value;

you include in the nginx config, you will get one block like that.

>   i used upload_pass_form_field directive to pass key=value to backend
> .below is the directive what i used .
>
>   upload_pass_form_field "^submit$|^description$";

If the original POST included fields with names that match that regex
-- in this case, exactly "submit" or "description" -- in the POST body,
then they will be sent though to the backend.

>  am i using the regex pattern correctly?or should i change it ,if i have
> to change? how ? give me backend handler code to parse key=value or
> getting the above key values  which is working for u?

Use the following 10 lines as a test CGI script (running on a web server
which runs CGI, so not nginx) to see exactly what is sent.

===
#!/bin/sh

echo Content-Type: text/plain
echo
env
echo ===
[ "$REQUEST_METHOD" = POST ] &&
 [ -n "$CONTENT_LENGTH" ] &&
 dd ibs=1 count=$CONTENT_LENGTH
echo ===
===

Post to that directly (with a small, text-only file, for simplicity);
and post to that as the "upload_pass" in the nginx config. You will see
exactly what is received each time, and you will see what changes the
upload module makes.

And then you can adjust your backend code to match.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org