[Cherokee] Benchmarks of cherokee vs nginx

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Tue May 24 18:14:25 MSD 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 01:02 +1200, Ryan B wrote:
> I'm guessing any form of vps setup's would have issues with
> benchmarking.. I was hardly going to run this on my home connection or
> pay for a uber dedi.

Actually, it's a fine benchmark so long as both HTTP servers are running
in the same environment.  Can you extrapolate and draw conclusions about
how they might run on different hardware or in a different environment?
Maybe with a grain of salt, but that's the case with any benchmark, so
complaining about OpenVZ tuning is pointless.

Putting it on dedicated hardware isn't terribly useful either, since
fewer people do that now. Even dedicated servers are virtualized for
management reasons.

The only issue I'd have is if the node has other VE's on it that you
don't have control over since those could clearly affect the outcome.
Still I'd expect deviations to show from multiple runs that would reveal
that type of issue.

Cliff