proxy_store HEAD

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Nov 10 15:55:42 UTC 2011

Hello!

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 04:27:14PM +0200, Reinis Rozitis wrote:

> Hello,
> is there a (simple) way to make 'proxy_store on' store the files
> also on HEAD requests instead of just returning the response from
> upstream?
>
> I understand the reasons behind the current behaviour but I'm trying
> to build some sort of synchronisation between few nginx boxes
> without the need to actually download the files to the client - so
> far the only option seems to use 'proxy_ignore_client_abort' make a
> GET request and forcefully abort it (since even ranged 1 byte
> requests don't store the file on the "proxying" host).

You may try

   proxy_method GET;

in a server/location dedicated for synchronization.  It will cause
nginx to use GET requests to upstream (though it won't sent
anything to client as long as original request was HEAD one).
This is basically identical to what proxy_cache does with HEAD
requests.

BTW, proxy_ignore_client_abort is meaningless with proxy_store,
as proxy_store activates the same logic unconditionally.

> p.s. it seems that wiki is a bit outdated and
> 'proxy_cache_methods' is deprecated/notexisting at least in
> 1.1.x tree

The "proxy_cache_methods" directive exists and not deprecated.
It's for proxy_cache though, not proxy_store.