OpenResty Queries

agentzh agentzh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 07:09:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 1:38 AM, Nginx User <nginx at nginxuser.net> wrote:
> Some quick queries about some things missing from available documentation
> about OpenResty
> 1. Notice current version is bundled with Nginx 1.0.4. Is it possible for an
> end user to upgrade Nginx? I.E. can I download OpenResty and slip in Nginx
> 1.0.6?

The current stable version of OpenResty is 1.0.5.1, which bundles the
1.0.5 Nginx core. The current devel release of OpenResty is
1.0.6.0rc2, which bundles the 1.0.6 core. Check out

    http://openresty.org/#Download

Manually replacing the nginx core is possible, just replace the
directory of OpenResty's bundle/nginx-1.0.5/ with your own, say,
nginx-1.1.1/. OpenResty's configure script should be smart enough to
pick up the new version of the Nginx core.

But be careful with self replacing the Nginx core in OpenResty because
forward compatibility is not guaranteed. A new untested Nginx core can
break things, and that's all the point of bundling the Nginx core in
the OpenResty bundle to ensure that it works well with *all* of the
bundled components.

> 2. The bundled modules are awesome but what is the process wants an
> extra third party module?

All of the nginx's configure options are inherited by OpenResty's
configure script, so you can still add extra 3rd-party modules like
this:

    ./configure --add-module=/path/to/your/other/module

Regards,
-agentzh