nginx default server not used

Nginx User nginx at nginxuser.net
Sun Feb 19 22:12:44 UTC 2012

On 20 February 2012 00:17, rj <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> Hi Maxim,
>
> thank's for the quick reply. The config seems to be ok. The missing } is
> most likely a copy/paste error when combining the different config files
> for pastebin.
>
> I tried nginx -t already and it succeeds, so I assume the config is at
> least syntactical correct.
>
> nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
> nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
>
> I also restarted and reloaded the config several times via
> /etc/init.d/nginx {restart, reload, stop and start} without any
> success.
> Already checked the error log, unfortunately it is empty.
> The server is running and working otherwise as expected. It serves
> static and dynamic (php/ruby) content and also correctly passes requests
> to a java tomcat server without any problems. I have no clue what could
> trigger this odd behavior.
> It seems all server configurations work correctly except for the default
> config.
>
> Cheers,
> rj

As Maxim said, if you previously had a location and then removed it
but you are still seeing vestiges of this, then it means one of the
following:

1. You are still running the previous instance of Nginx.
2. You are still loading a conf file with the previous items in it.

There is no other option.

Since you say you have reloaded (assuming you don't have two instances
of nginx going), then it has to be #2.

So you have to look again at your setup carefully. Somewhere in there,
you are loading something different from what you have been editing.