Upgrade From Fedora 15 to 17: nginx Doesn't Work

Steve steeeeeveee at gmx.net
Tue Jun 5 01:16:06 UTC 2012

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 19:32:32 -0400 (EDT)
> Von: "ptiseo" <nginx-forum at nginx.us>
> An: nginx at nginx.org
> Betreff: Upgrade From Fedora 15 to 17: nginx Doesn\'t Work

> Had nginx 1.0.5 running on a Fedora 15 system just fine for months.

Months? MONTHS? So you are not a new *nix user?

> Upgraded the server from F15 to F17. At first, all seems well, but over
> time, I keep getting 500 errors on proxied sites. Logs say: "socket()
> failed (24: Too many open files) while connecting to upstream". Has
> anyone else had this experience? If so, what's the root cause?

The root cause you ask? You must be joking. I mean... how hard is it to interpret "Too many open files"?

> Had to revert server back to a backup to get sites functional.

Ohhh boy. All you need to do is increase the open file limit in /etc/sysctl.conf and /etc/security/limits.conf.

In my installation I currently have...

... in /etc/sysctl.conf:
fs.file-max = 5049800

... in /etc/security/limits.conf:
*               -       nofile          101062

I assume you used the same nginx.conf like in the old install? So no need for me to mention worker_rlimit_nofile. Right?

Setting/getting file limits is really basic linux system admin knowledge. I don't want to be harsh but not knowing that and going back from a fresh installed Fedora 17 to a backup of Fedora 15 because of the above error is crazy. You need to spend some time educating yourself in how to maintain a *nix system.

And while at it... please take your time to learn how to use Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Too+many+open+files&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

If you don't find the solution in the first 10 or 20 links then I am going to eat xx xxxxx!