500 Internal Server Error only on wp-admin/ directory...

Adrian Hayter adrianhayter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 06:26:20 UTC 2012

I upgraded my Wordpress install (via svn) and now trying to access the wp-admin/ directory results in a 500 Internal Server Error, despite the fact my config hasn't changed at all.

The most annoying part is that no error messages seem to have been logged by either nginx or php-fpm. The front-end of the site appears to be working, which just adds to the strangeness.

I've looked at the permissions; they are all fine. nginx should have access, and like I said, the front-end works.

So my question(s): Does anyone know what might be causing this, and also, are there any helpful tutorials available for increasing the amount of information that nginx (and other applications like php, mysql, etc) outputs to error logs?

Cheers,

- Adrian