Can anyone *really* explain opcode caching with PHP?

Volodymyr Kostyrko c.kworr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 11:36:46 UTC 2012

gcaplan wrote:
> Hi Volodymyr
>
> Thanks for your helpful response. From what you say, opcode caching is
> essential and Xcache is the way to go.
>
> But just to understand - does a php-fpm pool access a single Xcache, or
> is there a separate cache set up for each process? I'm trying to get a
> handle on the memory implications.

All processes in one php-fpm pool share a single cache. This is so
because main process is started (thus starting new cache) and workers
are forked (sharing most of memory).

> Thanks for the heads up on uWSGI. But my sysadmin skills are basic (I'm
> a developer really) and it looks a bit scary. There's not much info out
> there, while fastcgi is supported in the php core. For someone who is
> not a proper sysadmin, is uWSGI, in its present state of development,
> really a sensible way to go?

I'll second Roberto: keep an eye on it as it should give you better
performance then php-fpm. It's unmature though so if you want to try it
you are on your own.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.