How to view Nginx wiki history?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri Nov 9 03:08:46 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 02:07:32PM +0000, Jonathan Matthews wrote:

> On 4 November 2012 13:57, Valentin V. Bartenev <ne at vbart.ru> wrote:
> > On Saturday 03 November 2012 10:08:48 howard chen wrote:
> >> Re: How to view Nginx wiki history?
> >
> > You should register an account to view the history:
> > http://wiki.nginx.org/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin
>
> That really sucks. Can it be configured differently to allow
> non-authenticated users access to page histories?

Non-authenticated users actually have access, but there is no link
provided.  E.g.

http://wiki.nginx.org/index.php?title=Main&action=history

> As we're on the topic of historic documentation across a versioned
> piece of software like nginx, I'd like to put in a plea here for
> something to be worked out to expose the mapping of config directives
> to the version in which they were introduced, or when their behaviours
> changed - in a *structured* format.
>
> IMHO that's a really major documentation flaw in both the wiki and the
> official documentation, as the inline notes about version
> applicability are both sparse and not formalised/structured at all
> usefully.

In official documentation we've introduced formal <apperead-in>
tag, e.g.

http://trac.nginx.org/nginx/browser/nginx_org/xml/en/docs/http/ngx_http_ssl_module.xml#L219

Though in more or less nontrivial cases like new directive
parameters and so on - inline notes are unavoidable.

http://nginx.com/support.html